News from Europe

The official cause of the recent fire in a Kiev church is a short circuit

The cause of the fire in the historic St. Nicholas Church in Kiev was a short-circuit in the electrical installation in the organs - stated the Minister of Internal Affairs of Ukraine Denys Monastyrski. Oblates missionaries work in the temple, known as the Pearl of Kiev.


The preliminary conclusion was that the cause of the fire was a short-circuit in the electrical system in the organs, because the fire occurred during a recent test – a representative of the Ukrainian authorities told reporters on Saturday. He emphasised that criminal proceedings had been initiated in connection with the violation of fire safety rules. Samples were taken for research.

In turn, the Minister of Culture and Information Policy, Oleksandr Tkachenko, said that “the organs were destroyed and this is a separate tragedy.” He assured the ministry that the ministry would begin “a detailed assessment of the temple’s damage in order to compile a list of urgent emergency and renovation works.”

As reported, the fire broke out on Friday, September 3 in the evening. According to the State Emergency Service at 22:40 was captured, at 23:26 – extinguished. No casualties or injuries were recorded. About eighty people and sixteen units of emergency services equipment participated in the firefighting operation.


Leave a reply