At least eghteen people died in battle with Congo Terror Group
According to Africa News, at least eighteen people were killed in the DR Congo last week during fighting between the DRC army and the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) terror group.
“At least 9 civilians were killed on the night of (Thursday to Friday) in #Katanda (territory of #Beni, North #Kivu). Searches are still underway. The #ADF are suspected,” the Kivu Security Barometer wrote in a tweet.
“There was an ADF incursion from 10 pm to 3am in the village of Katanda: nine civilians were killed, dozens of houses were burned and several people are missing,” Abdul Kalemire, the leader of the Bashu chiefdom (Beni Territory, North Kivu), told AFP.
The army, whose closest position is 11 km from the village, intervened “late” but allowed the release of 15 hostages, Kalemire added.
“It is a strategy of the ADF to lure the DRC Armed Forces (FARDC) and peacekeepers out of the forest from which they chased them,” provincial deputy Saidi Balikwisha told AFP.
In this area, the army and the peacekeepers have conducted joint operations that have dislodged the ADF from their main strongholds in the forest.